cannot create database because of ORA-27102 "out of memory" (Oracle9i_2 & Solaris 9)

From: Frank Ratzlow <frank_ratzlow_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Sep 2002 16:17:46 -0700

Hi folks,

I'm about to go crazy because there is no visible way for me to get a damn db up and running. The oracle server is installed and at the point of creating a "general purpose" db the server hangs at 46% with the error message:
ORA-27102: out of memory
I already checked the very sufficient doc:

http://groups.google.de/groups?selm=ba03e2c.0209090900.284c4bec%40posting.google.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain

but there seems no way for me to get the db to be created. My kernel settings are /etc/system:

SEMMNI 100
SEMMNS 1024
SEMMSL 256
SHMMAX 1073741824 # == 1GB phys. mem. available in my system SHMMIN 1
SHMMNI 100
SHMSEG 10

There is plenty of memory available. I always used the default init.ora file but no change.
Can anyone point to the paragraph how to modify the servers habbit of trying to occupy more mem than it should? Where can I start troublshooting?

My configuration:
- SUN E250 (2CPUs, 1GB mem, about 2 GB swap)

Any help would be greatly appreciated ...!

TIA Frank
frank_ratzlow_at_nojunk.hotmail.com Received on Sat Sep 14 2002 - 18:17:46 CDT