Re: How long will 8.1.7 survive?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 23:08:39 +1000

13 Sep 2002 14:20:29 -0700, tingl said (and I quote):

> Just launch the installer or any Java based utilities come with 8i,
> see how much memory jre is taking up and how much slower they run. No

Yeah, but that's hardly Oracle's fault that the jre eats memory, no? Try a later jre. I find they use less memory since 1.3 came out.

> In many respects, I find 7.3.4 easier to manage than 8i. At least I
> don't have to worry about the features I don't need, even the patches
> are much smaller.

Hmm, obviously you don't have to do much space management in that database... And moving stuff around. And fine tuning.

> features and have to find out how to remove them. I have never heard
> anybody said 7.3 tunning is harder than 8i.

Yet it is. There is not much you can do in 7 to tune the database itself. 8i has so much more that can be done it's not even funny to compare. Start with the LMTs and the multiple buffer pools and IOT and go from there. I won't even mention the function-based indexes. Oops, I just did! ;)

> Why buy a VCR with multitude of functions, when all you need is
> playback. It just makes it harder to find the "play" button on your
> remote.

You may find that most VCR's with multitude of functions also have a much better image quality and can rewind/fast forward a lot quicker.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto