Re: straight forward Oracle unix web solution sought

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:58:23 +0400

Depending on tools you will likely use (CGI, perl, etc) you can choose whatever connectivity suits you best. For perl, it'll be DBI/DBD::Oracle, for C CGI it will probably be plain OCI, etc. If you want to create stored procedures in PL/SQL running inside Oracle db and generating whole pages, take a look at Oracle PSP (PL/SQL Server Pages) or our Dynamic PSP. Oracle HTTP Server bundled with Oracle8i/9i provides support for a lot of different ways to do dynamic web stuff using Oracle db as backend - Java Servlets and JSP, PSP and stored procedures using OWA packages directly, perl, CGI & FastCGI, shtml and more. Be sure to install the latest patches available for OHS to plug all security holes and bugs found in it and its components found to date. You don't need 9iAS for basic tasks, it's a full-blown application server after all and is probably an overkill for you (and it costs extra while OHS is already there bundled with the db server - though you will have to consult with Oracle sales rep to find out which licensing scheme is appropriate for you if you are going to use it since OHS is considered 'multiplexing' software and will probably require per CPU license.)