Re: optimal size for rollback

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:51:16 +1000

Hi Daud,

Must be looking forward to moving onto 9i when you won't have to worry about all this :)

The "problem" with optimal is that by deallocating a bunch of extents, it greatly increases the likelihood of ORA-1555s, snapshot too old.

In the case of a large transaction, I would look at assigning it to a pre-created big mamma of a RBS with the SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT big_mamma command. That way, you don't have the overheads of dynamically allocating (and later de-allocating) additional extents and queries won't freak out as they can access the undo they're after.

I would also just increase the number of your extents a tad to perhaps reduce the likelihood of an extent containing an active transaction at wrap time.

Cheers

Richard