Re: Migration from 8.1.5 to 9.2 RAC

From: Ronald <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: 13 Sep 2002 04:59:06 -0700

"Igor Smaglyuk 1293309929" <siv_at_emt.com.ua> wrote in message news:<1031816919.9372_at_fobos.ldc.net>...
> And I have to migrate the database to Oracle 9.2 Real Application Cluster.
> volume of data is about 8 Gb. I can stop the database only for 10 hours.
>
> 1. Export from 8.1.5 and import to 9.2 RAC. It seems to me the best
> solution,
> but it will take much more time then 10 hours. So it is unacceptible.
>
> And there is a question how to migrate from 9.2 single to 9.2 RAC.
> Will it be enough to install 9.2 RAC and to use unix dd command to
> transfer datafiles of 9.2 single database to the corresponding
> raw devices of 9.2 RAC database? What to do with the SYSTEM
> tablespace?
>

> May be there are another ways of migration from 8.1.5 to 9.2 RAC?
>
> Igor.

Hi Igor,
maybe it is wiser to hire a profesional to help you. There are more ways to do this. If you plan to redesign the database in the upgrade process I would use a procedure to copy the tables to the new database. For 8G it could be done in 2 hours but it depends on the hardware. The new database is RAC from the start. That way you can do the copy in parallel using all nodes but only do that for tables that are on different discs.
As the final step I would use exp/imp to transfer the stored objects etc.

If you don't plan to redesign, why not do a normal upgrade ? The only thing that you need afterwards is to add the online redologs for the new instances.

Just create a database on raw devices. SYSTEM is nothing special, it is just a tablespace - that you don't want to miss - and nothing more. Create a set of online redologs for every thread - instance - you plan to activate.

If you are playing with parallel databases you migth need some training ...

Ronald.

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba Received on Fri Sep 13 2002 - 06:59:06 CDT