Re: Materialized View and CLOBs

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:24:26 +0400

Try using a temporary clob, populate it with data and insert right away without having to insert empty_clob(), select it for update, update and put back. DBMS_LOB.createTemporary() will create you a new temporary clob which you can then populate using DBMS_LOB.write or .writeAppend the same way you do for permanent LOBs. When you insert it, you'll get permanent copy and hopefully will have mv refreshed at the same time. Don't forget to discard temp clob when it's no longer needed using DBMS_LOB.freeTemporary() to save resources (or use dbms_lob.call duration when creating it so that it is automatically discarded when call is complete.)

> > > Here's a question I've been waiting to post on Tom Kyte's most excellent
> > > website. Can anybody else assist? This test has been conducted on an Ora
cle
> > > 8.1.7.2 Sun Solaris platform.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Tom,
> > >
> > > I have code in our application very similar to that listed below. The
> > > problem I'm having is the last row inserted with CLOB data shows up in
the
> > > table MV_TEST but is not aggregated in the materialized view
> > > MV_TEST_SUMMARY. Is there something special I need to do when inserting
CLOB