Re: Starting Oracle on Unix Reboot

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:31:30 +0200

audrey wrote:

> I am sure the ORACLE_HOME is correct, however I am not so sure about
> the ORACLE_SID

You should be. Or else it will not work.

> I would assume they are the both correct, because when I reconfigure
> the database, it runs fine. I just find it odd that you would need to
> reconfigure the database everytime the computer reboots.

Nope. This is not reconfiguring the database, but configuring the operating system environment so that the Oracle software knows where to find stuff (ORACLE_HOME) and what the database identifier (ORACLE_SID) is.

IMO it is a huge mistake to use DBAssist to create databases. Use command line. Write scripts. Do it properly. GUI's are intended for novices and the clueless. It hides away the complexity and the flexibility that a Real Administrator needs to deal with in a real production environment.

--
Billy