Re: Copy tables from oracle 7 to oracle 9

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 23:28:00 +1000

Yout truly -desperately- need to read the Oracle concepts guide.

Oracle is NOTHING like SQL Server. They are both databases, and that's about it. Forget everything you learnt about what a "database" is, and read up on Oracle tablespaces and schemas instead.

Do not attempt to use your SQL Server knowledge in an Oracle context. You will be lead astray, and sent down dead ends without paddling instruments, just to mix a metaphor or three.

Honestly: you cannot do Oracle if all you have is SQL Server knowledge. You need to beef up a bit first. It;s not that one is necessarily better than the other, but that they are so completely dissimilar. Even the word 'database' means different things to each product.

Visit technet.oracle.com, sign up for a free account, download the concepts guide, and read and inwardly digest. Then we can talk turkey.

Regards