Re: To RAID or not to RAID (...or how to RAID)

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:28:12 GMT

On 12 Sep 2002 21:24:30 +0100 (BST), Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

<snip>
>Some hardware vendors are now even claiming RAID 5+0 (striped RAID-5
>sets) can offer adequate high-end performance. Obviously gives more
>spindles for the money than RAID 1+0, but with a serious performance
>impact when you have a drive fail, as everything has to go through the
>degraded controller.
>
>--
>Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/

RAID 5+0? Striped RAID-5? Never heard of these configurations. Can you point me to a description of this? RAID-5 *is* striped. The difference between 0 and 5 is that 5 adds a parity check for drive recoverability. I'm trying to visualize what a doubly striped set would look like.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)