Re: Oracle statistics

From: Ronald <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: 13 Sep 2002 05:07:55 -0700

evoradba_at_yahoo.ca (Maria) wrote in message news:<351fd9d6.0209110532.28ad59f5_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi Richard
> Thanks for the info
> We have to drop and create tables indexes etc in order to clean the
> database, etc, at least that is what I have been told, I'm new at this
> place, and they have this for 1 year, where then run a ctas every day,
> is like a export import of the database, I just don't understand what
> update STATITISCS does, why to do we have to do this all the time,
> where does it store this infomartion, the statistics takes a long time
> to run which is not acceptable (7 hours at times)
> Do you have any other suggestions
> Thanks
> Maria

Maria,

the data that replaces the old data, is that similar ? I mean: are big tables always big ? small tables always small ? are the indexes always as selective as before ? If that is the case, why don't you store the statistics in a table before dropping your tables and put them back when you recreated the tables ? That saves many hours. By the time yoy notice that the execution plans are wrong, you can always refresh the statistics for the tables that have large deviations from the statistics.

Ronald.

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba Received on Fri Sep 13 2002 - 07:07:55 CDT