Re: Oracle statistics

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:38:51 +0100

"Norman Dunbar" <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote in message news:E2F6A70FE45242488C865C3BC1245DA702A5450C_at_lnewton.leeds.lfs.co.uk...
> Afternoon Gents,
>
> why would anyone drop and import all their data ......
> Don't you just *know* it's going to be 'to get it all into one extent
> for better performance' :o)

I suspect that this is accompanied by 'so the tablespace is nicely defragmented, it keeps fragmenting after we stuff it with loads of single (differently sized) extent objects'. I expect pctincrease is non zero so SMON coalesces free space as well.

As to wether Maria stands a chance of changing this I'm not sure. One argument goes 'wait 6 months before changing anything since you don't know whats going on', the counter argument is ''If you don't change things when you start you never will'.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA