Re: How to tune a huge SELECT ?

From: Terry Dykstra <dontreply_tddykstra_at_forestoil.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:56:43 GMT

Are you talking about Cognos Finance here? It has a very nasty habit when loading data through the File Processing module using the SQL interface that it first issues a SELECT COUNT(*) to get a rowcount. So in effect you are running your sql statement twice.

--
Terry Dykstra
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message

> Billy Verreynne wrote:
>
> > Christian Svensson wrote:
> >
> > > Since these SELECT get a lot of data, we are talking about approx 100
> > > million rows. It takes approx 7-8 hours for Cognos to select this data
> > > into a Cognos tempfile where it later use this to build the cubes.
> >
> > Pulling a 100 million rows across is, pardon me for being very blunt
Chris,
> > UTTER FRIGGEN STUPIDITY!
> >
> > Why have a warehouse in the first place? Why have a database engine as
> > capable as Oracle in the first place? Why not simply dump that data on a
PC