Re: How long will 8.1.7 survive?

From: tingl <tlam15_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Sep 2002 14:20:29 -0700

nsouto_at_optushome.com.au (Nuno Souto) wrote in message news:<dd5cc559.0209121908.4c25313d_at_posting.google.com>...
> tlam15_at_hotmail.com (tingl) wrote in message news:<f487699f.0209061102.6de43a07_at_posting.google.com>...
> >
> > Often time upgrading software requires newer hardware. This is
> > especially true for Oracle given its enormous size. It has to crank up
> > that heavy duty Java machine every time even just for the installer to
> > run.
>
> This is not entirely correct. The installer uses any native JVM,
> it doesn't need the database one. You can perfectly install
> anything up to 8.1.7 without any Java within cooee of the
> database engine.
>
> The other thing I found is that I can run 8.1.7 without the Java engine
> quite happy within 128Mb memory in NT. In fact, my home NTW4 box has a mere
> 64Mb and runs 8.1.7 without the slightest. Of course I can't run 1000
> users in it, but then again I wouldn't even think of it!
>
> > If you are happy with 7.3.4, stay with it. It's just as good as
> > or better than many other brands of current release databases.
> > Save some for company pinics. %)
>
> 7.3.4 might indeed be as good as a lot of others. But compared
> with 8.1.7 it's a no contest. It's so much easier to administer,
> maintain and tune databases with 8.1.7 it's not even fun. Do yourself
> a favour and look into it for everything ASAP. I'm not sure about the
> picnic savings, but I'll take a picnic over tuning 7.3.4 anytime... ;)
>
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> nsouto_at_optushome.com.au

Just launch the installer or any Java based utilities come with 8i, see how much memory jre is taking up and how much slower they run. No one is saying they need JServer to run. You can run 8i without Java, but Java is not the only things contributing to 8i's size and 8i without Java is just one step closer to 7.3.

In many respects, I find 7.3.4 easier to manage than 8i. At least I don't have to worry about the features I don't need, even the patches are much smaller.
I will bet you many people accidentally installed Java or other features and have to find out how to remove them. I have never heard anybody said 7.3 tunning is harder than 8i.

Why buy a VCR with multitude of functions, when all you need is playback. It just makes it harder to find the "play" button on your remote.

Tony Received on Fri Sep 13 2002 - 16:20:29 CDT