straight forward Oracle unix web solution sought

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:46:22 +0100

Ok Mark, try this :

Up until Monday this week, I'd never tried connecting any of my databases to the web, but my boss wanted our new Change Management system webified. So here's what I have :

Oracle 8174 on 64 bit HP-UX 11:00 server. Apache as installed with 8174. (Installed by default on Minimal and Typical, but can be omitted on Custom install of 817).

NO OTHER TOOLKITS OR ANYTHING ! Type this into a file on the server called emp.psp :

<head>
<title>Employee Listing</title>
</head>

<% for emp_rec in (select ename from emp) loop %>
<% end loop; %>

Now load that into your user on the database with 'loadpsp'

loadpsp -user username/password_at_SID -replace emp.psp

When that is done, have a look on the database and check out the source code for a procedure called 'emp' owned by 'user'. That is what loadpsp does to your html file(s).

Now, on the server, in $ORACLE_HOME/Apache/modplsql/cfg/wdbsvr.app add a DAD as follows :

[DAD_dad_name] <<<<<<<<<<< Must be DAD_ in upper case plus some name for it in lower case
connect_string = <SID or alias as above in loadpsp> password = <password as above in loadpsp> username = <username as above in loadpsp> default_page = home

document_table   =  sample.wwdoc_document
document_path   =  docs
document_proc   =  sample.wwdoc_process.process_download
upload_as_long_raw =
upload_as_blob = *
reuse = Yes
connmax = 10
enablesso   =  No           <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< MAKE SURE THIS IS
'NO' OR OT WON'T WORK !!!
pathalias = url
pathaliasproc = sample.wwpth_api_alias.process_download
;name_prefix   =
;always_describe   =
;after_proc   =
;before_proc   =

There is a way to do this on the web itself, but it won't save the details for me :o( so I do it manually.

Now, assuming your apache server is running, go to this URL in your browser :

http://server/pls/dada_name/emp

For example, my user is cmdb, my procedure/psp file is employees.psp I do this :

http://my_server/pls/cmdb/employees

And hopefully it all just works.

Get onto MetaLink and/or Google and look for PL/SQL Server Pages, or PSP for details, but the above is (a) simple and (b) very quick !

HTH Regards,
Norman.