Re: Migration from 8.1.5 to 9.2 RAC

From: Jayaraman Ashok <ashok_jayaraman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 Sep 2002 18:08:32 -0700

Hi
I believe that export/import is the best method to migrate from a single instance to a parallel server setup. Before import you need to create all application objects with the necessary freelists/freelist groups for tables/indexes. You need to have separate set of rollback segments for each instance. You need to configure gc* parameters for each datafile in the database based on the transactions that would afffect them. Mere moving of physical files to raw devices is not a good idea. You should have a separate raw slice for each datafile and hence plan it accordingly for future growth. Also take into account your controlfile growth if using rman as you would be creating raw files for all except archived logs. I have done this exercise while migrating from HP single instance to IBM parallel server setup on 8.1.6.3.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ashok

Candido Dessanti <termy_at_blunet.it> wrote in message news:<3D80BE7A.5000100_at_blunet.it>...
> > Sorry, I did not understand that. After upgrading 8.1.5 to 8.1.7 I
 have a
> > single instance 8.1.7
> > database. And I have no a 9.2 RAC database at this moment. Should I
 install
> > a starter 9.2 RAC
> > database besides Oracle software before upgrading from 8.1.7 to 9.2?
 Or do