Re: Migration from 8.1.5 to 9.2 RAC

From: Igor Smaglyuk 1293309929 <siv_at_emt.com.ua>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:20:02 +0300

"Candido Dessanti" <termy_at_blunet.it> wrote in message news:3D806797.5020105_at_blunet.it...

Candido, thank you for your answer! But I need to clarify some points.

> You could migrate directly from 8.1.7 to 9.2 RAC... i Dont see any
> reason to upgrade to 9.2 and then to RAC.
>you have just to
> stop all the instances in cluster,

  Sorry, I did not understand that. After upgrading 8.1.5 to 8.1.7 I have a single instance 8.1.7
database. And I have no a 9.2 RAC database at this moment. Should I install a starter 9.2 RAC
database besides Oracle software before upgrading from 8.1.7 to 9.2? Or do you imply that I should move datafiles of 8.1.7 database to raw devices, rename them in control file and init.ora and 8.1.7 will work with these raw devices? And then I should do the upgrade to 9.2 RAC?

> Anyway remember that if your are upgrading from single instance to
> parallel instance you should have a redo log thread for instance, so
> maybe you would have to rebuild the control file.

  Should I create additional redo logs for 8.1.7 and rename all redo logs to the
format which is recommended by Oracle for RAC? But 8.1.7 does not know about threads...

  Igor. Received on Thu Sep 12 2002 - 06:20:02 CDT