Re: Recovery keeps asking for more logfiles

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:09:28 +1000

Hi Foggy,

Can be 100% sure but this sounds like the "David Attenborough Baby Bird Syndrome".

Love nature documentaries but always feel sorry for the parent birds trying to feed baby chicks. After spending ages finding food, they return to the nest, throw up in the baby chicks mouths only to have the chicks screaming for more food. The bastards never shut up !!

One of two scenarios here. Oracle behaves in a similar manner when you recover a database and the control file is a backed control file or indeed the control file is the "current" controlfile (but you only want to feed it redo logs prior to the current time). Oracle uses the information in the control file to determine when to end recovery in that all data files and all control files must have consistent timestamps.

In the case of the backed up control file, the control file is being recovered in conjunction with the data files (as it's a control file from a prior point of time) therefore Oracle has no way of knowing when to end recovery (as the control file in this case doesn't contain the "current" SCN). It just wants more redo logs and more redo logs and more redo logs ...

In the case of it being the current control file, Oracle won't be satisfied until it has applied all the redo logs and recovered all the data files until such time that they reach the current SCN as documented in the control file. That means it won't be happy until you have supplied the current redo log which of course in your scenario won't yet have been archived. The archive logs alone are not enough (the chicks haven't yet grown up enough !!).

I'm not sure if you wish to open this other database or not. If you do, you must recover the database to the point where all the SCNs in the data files *and* control files are all consistent (either by supplying all the redo logs or by terminating an incomplete recovery).

Sqwark Sqwark Sqwark Sqwark Sqwark Sqwark Sqwark ......

Richard