Re: help on trigger..

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: 12 Sep 2002 09:47:59 -0500

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in news:OG%f9.30337$g9.87986_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com:

> There's a fine line.
>
> You want people to contribute, ask questions, offer an opinion,
> share their experiences, solve problems or provide a leg up to
> helping posters solve problem themselves and all the while have a
> bit of fun.
>
> Then again you want people to help themselves, perform some basic
> research, read some manuals or books or website information, check
> the archives, have some foundation, want direction and guidance
> rather than simple spoon feeding which is ultimately negative
> anyway and basically have a go themselves.
>
> Ultimately "the masses" decide which side of the line we might be
> viewed as being on based on the temperature of the reception...

Bingo!

What I strive to do is to figure out the poster's capability and respond with enough information to (pardon the new age'ish word) "enable" them to figure it out. Most people simply need a jumpstart and once that happens, can get moving on their own.

I agree that some folks try to post their homework assignments on this (and other) newsgroups and I try and make that call.

As a side note to this all, I think following The Golden Rule is actually a good thing. Of course, this might be because I've been trying to impress that on my 5 year old boy. :)

Thx!

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com