space queries slow

From: Robert Walkup <rdww_at_ti.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:50:05 -0500

We have a database that has a 1GB system tablespace. We have in-house written monitoring software than monitors the free space. We started out using dba_free_space view and eventually started using the tables directly because the queries were so slow. The queries are still slow and resource intensive. We have spent quit a bit of time tuning the queries. Since we can't rebuild the database we need to find a work around. Thus, I was wondering if there was query or check I could perform to see if any changes had been made to any of the tablespaces/datafiles and then if changes have been made run the standard space/extent queries?

the queries we normally run are...

  1. check for adequate free space
  2. check to make sure segments can extend the next time a space request is made.
  3. check to insure segments are not approaching max_extents.

I could put the queries here, but there pretty much the basic queries you would get out of a monitoring/tunning. book. If possible, I would like to run the previous mentioned check then only run the 3 queries in event a change has been made to the database?

database version is 8.1.7

Thanks
Robert Received on Wed Sep 11 2002 - 12:50:05 CDT