Re: SQL prodecure to compute ranking

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Sep 2002 18:47:36 GMT

davenespoli_at_hotmail.com (Dave Nespoli) wrote:
> Analytic functions do the job, but is is possible to index of them?
> They will only be useful if we could build an index which will make
> the execution time quick. I've tried, but it seems it's not allowed.
> Any ideas?

Everything I've seen on analytical functions is demonstration, not implementation. Since adding an index for this use would require a rather special data structure, and that data structure would probably need to be explicitly added (the way regular indices are), and I haven't seen instructions for adding them, I assume the analytical functions don't have specialized index support. So the analytical function is probably being executed as if it were the query Gary already posted (or something worse.)

How bad was the original query, or hasn't it been implemented and tested yet? It doesn't seem like it should be too terrible if it can use index range scans for much of the work.

Xho

                    Usenet Newsgroup Service