Re: Database upgrade - backout strategy

From: Candido Dessanti <termy_at_blunet.it>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:58:20 +0200

Andy wrote:
> We are planning to upgrade from V806 to V817 and I'd like to know
> opinions on backout strategies. The scenario is that the database has
> been upgraded and has been in use for about 4 -5 days (it's not too
> transaction heavy) when errors are detected and it is decided to back
> out to V806 without losing the 4 -5 days of work. The database is
> about 150Gb in size.

You can find downgrade scripts in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin and they are damed like d[the version of oracle you want to return], so if you want to downgrade from oracle 8.1.7 to oracle 8.0.6 you will find in 8.1.7 oracle'home a script called d0800060.sql; so the procedure would be

apply the d0800060.sql (you can find some instructions on the file header and in oracle online documentation) close the database
take a full cold backup (including everything) using o/s commands copying the files on the server with 8.0.6 oracle (if it resides on a different server)

btw: it would be nice if you would take a backup of your 8.0.6 init.ora file before upgrade

This would works if your application isnt using any of the new features of oracle 8.1.7

if you are further questions feel free to ask

ciao Received on Wed Sep 11 2002 - 10:58:20 CDT