Re: Oracle 9i on Mac OS X - question...

From: Wayne Lewis <working_at_home>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:08:57 +0100

On 10/9/02 16:39, in article 90552177.0209100739.bb950ce_at_posting.google.com, "Blake Patterson" <blake_at_blakespot.com> wrote:

> I want to evaluate Oracle 9i for Mac OS X on my dual G4 800 running OS
> X 'Jaguar'. I am concerned about how much Oracle throws down during
> the install--I do not intend to run it permanently on this machine,
> just testing out to assess the feesability of an Xserve + Oracle in
> the office.
>
> Is it easy to remove Oracle 9i _entirely_ from the system? Thanks.

No direct OSX experience with Oracle but on every other UNIX system I've used with Oracle it is just installed in its own subdirectory (like all proper UNIX applications) which can be simply deleted with no effect. If you change the startup files for OSX to automount Oracle you need to make sure you take these changes out after removing the directory as I've heard that OSX can have problems if it tries to start something that's not there (only hearsay - I've never experienced this myself).

> (Link for OS X Oracle download ->
> http://www.oracle.com/corporate/press/index.html?1439925.html )

Cool!

--