Data Buffer Cache

From: Pinaki <bpinaki123_at_indiatimes.com>
Date: 10 Sep 2002 09:07:47 -0700

Hello ,

I am working in Oracle 8.1.7
I am issuing a update statement..."Update tab set x=y where z='abc' from a session.I do not commit or rollback and no further statements are fired from session for 10-15 mins...
From what I understand the previous image is stored in the Rollback segment and redo information is stored in the Redo log buffer.

           The DBWn meanwhile starts writing the dirty buffers to the disk(in case of any event such as a log switch etc.).At this point of time some of my data is in the buffer cache and some in the disk.Now I issue a rollback from my session.How does oracle handle this situation and take me back to a position as if nothing has happened at all...

Thanks,
Pinaki Received on Tue Sep 10 2002 - 11:07:47 CDT