Re: Oracle 9i on MSCS without RAC

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 10 Sep 2002 21:13:19 -0700

In article <2f56752e.0209100633.473258c2_at_posting.google.com>, severini.simone_at_vizzavi.it says...

>I have not idea how can i install on a cluster. Where i have to put
>the installion file (node A, node B, SAN storage?). The database I'm
>sure that will be on the storage.
>
>Regards
>Simone

OK, got ya! :)

I'm not 100% sure of this, since my RAC knowledge is all on high end Unix boxes rather than Intel. On those OS's, where there is no option to isntall on a clustered file system like Compaq's, the install loads on one machine and then rcp's to the other nodes you specify automatically for you. Can anyone with more Intel knowledge than me confirm whether something similar happens there?

Pete

>Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
>> In article <2f56752e.0209060551.31df70f_at_posting.google.com>,
>> severini.simone_at_vizzavi.it says...
>> >
>> >Hi,
>> > I just meet a problem during my system deployment. I have 2 compaq
>> >server connected by microsoft cluster server. They have W2k adv server
>> >and a shared storage SAN. Now I need to install an Oracle 9i database
>> >but at this time without Real Application Clusters.
>> >
>> >Anyone can help me to explain the procedure to follow in order to
>> >install the database. I have to install firstly Oracle on node "A" and
>> >put the installation file on the storage. What happens now when I
>> >install Oracle on node "B". I have to remake the installation in the
>> >same folders on the shared storage or maybe .... help me!
>> >
>> >Thanks a lot.
>> >
>> >Simone
>>
>> Simone
>>
>> I don't really understand what you're trying to achieve here. Do you want to
>> use the cluster in an active-standby configuration? If so, then get Oracle
>> Failsafe. From memory it's free. I'm also not exactly sure what you mean by
>>fist installing Oracle on node A and then putting the isntallation file on the
>> storage. Are you implying that the kernel is on the SAN?
>>
>> HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
>>
>> Pete
>>
>> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Tue Sep 10 2002 - 23:13:19 CDT