Re: Database upgrade - backout strategy

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 10 Sep 2002 06:26:45 -0700

enzoweb_at_hotmail.com (Andy) wrote in message news:<8d4033cd.0209092134.b86550c_at_posting.google.com>...
> We are planning to upgrade from V806 to V817 and I'd like to know
> opinions on backout strategies. The scenario is that the database has
> been upgraded and has been in use for about 4 -5 days (it's not too
> transaction heavy) when errors are detected and it is decided to back
> out to V806 without losing the 4 -5 days of work. The database is
> about 150Gb in size.
>
> The only thing I can think of is to export from V817 using the V806
> executable and importing into V806. The only issue here is time (15-20
> hours?) since there is no referential integrity on the database (it's
> a legacy application).
>
> Can anyone think of alternatives, preferably faster?

Andy, using the prior version export and doing a full imp into a newly build prior version is about your only option unless 100% of your updates were via batch and can be reapplied to a recovered version of the old db.

I would say that after 4 - 5 days of operation the plan should be to fix or rewrite whatever does not work rather than backout.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Sep 10 2002 - 08:26:45 CDT