Re: Oracle Myth II - ??

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:33:52 -0400

"roobaron" <member_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:1791020.1031532588_at_dbforums.com...

> Hi Chuck
>
> How is the table mapped to disk?
> Is the tablespace that the table is in have multiple datafiles,
> separated
> over multiple disks?

No, but stiping the tablespace over multiple datafiles would probably imprive the performance even more.

> How many controllers do you have for the disks?

One

> I am interested in seeing if there is extra performance benefit
> from including the APPEND hint to perform a direct insert as well.

Probably. I didn't use it though.

> I humbly asked our Unix guru he thought the best speed you would get
> over 100mb Ethernet is 10Mbyte/sec tops.
>
> So 300Mbyte table copied as a flat file (straight unix copy) should take
> around 30 Secs...
> Interesting to see what the other overhead is...

In a pure network copy he is correct. It should take about 30 seconds. We also have to contend with other network traffic, disk i/o and disk contention on both ends of the link, formatting the data in memory, etc. There are perhaps a dozen other databases running on each server involved in the test all competing for disk and cpu. This was a very unscientific test. None of the other factors were controlled but I am confident that most of them remained pretty static throughout the test.