SQL*Plus formatting question

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 20:28:03 GMT

Platform: Oracle 8.1.7 on NT4 or NT2k

Given the following snippet of code:

set echo off
set heading off
 column LOCAL_TRAN_ID format a20 newline  column GLOBAL_TRAN_ID format a20 newline  column STATE format a20 newline
 column MIXED format a20 newline
 column ADVICE format a20 newline
<snip more of same>

select
'LOCAL_TRAN_ID: ' || LOCAL_TRAN_ID,
'GLOBAL_TRAN_ID: ' || GLOBAL_TRAN_ID,
'STATE: ' || STATE,
'MIXED: ' || MIXED,
'ADVICE: ' || ADVICE,
<snip more of same>

I expect each selected column to report on a separate line, thus:

LOCAL_TRAN_ID: some value
GLOBAL_TRAN_ID: some value
STATE: collecting
MIXED: no
ADVICE: some value

But what happens is STATE, MIXED, and ADVICE all display on the same line. Other columns, snipped from this example, do the same.

I know I'm overlooking the obvious, but . . .

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)