Re: Performance

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: 9 Sep 2002 12:17:18 -0500

"Lucas" <Lucas_44_at_hotmail.com> wrote in

> With just a basic (select * from ATable ) that has 60 fields and
> 17,000 records it takes close to 1 min to retrieve all the row,
> seems slow to me? Or am I expecting too much?

Are those 'wide' fields or 'narrow' rows? Better yet, what's the average number of bytes per row that you're retrieving? How many other users are using the system at the same time? How many drives do you have. How much wood can a woodchuck, chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood... ooops, got carried away. :)

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com