Re: gui tool for oracle.. what is client when installation?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:17:48 +0400

I would recommend them coming through ssh anyway, for security reasons. If they need a GUI tool, they can setup port forwarding/tunneling through ssh for X, so that they keep communicating with your box securely. Of course, you will need to block Oracle ports (1521 and 1526 usually) to prevent unauthorized parties from accessing your Oracle server, otherwise tunneling through ssh is of no use. You can do this in several ways - block ports on your firewall, put a tcp wrapper around Oracle listener or use listener's own filtering by adding

tcp.validnode_checking=yes
tcp.invited_nodes=(list of IPs that are allowed to connect, comma-separated)

into your sqlnet.ora or protocol.ora file in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin and restarting listener.