Re: DB2 or Oracle

From: Richard <stuppiddickhead_at_postmaster.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 09:29:13 +0100

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> "Richard" <stuppiddickhead_at_postmaster.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>>Nuno Souto wrote:
>>
>>>Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com> wrote in message

>>>You may recall more than a year ago I was vilified for stating as
>>>a fact what is now recognized as truth. Back then, I was the bad boy.
>>>Now, it's "of course".
>>>
>>>BTW, I never said DB2 is "evil", it's your statement not mine.
>>>
>>>What I said back then (and everyone made a tremendous effort to
>>>discredit me) was that the codebase for zSeries and AS400 is NOT
>>>the same as for the others. And therefore IBM cannot claim,
>>>like they did back then, that there was only one codebase
>>>for DB2. It's bull, always was.
>>
>>This is an interesting discovery. I've certainly heard the "same code"
>>mantra a thousand times.
>
> What difference does it make? Or rather what difference is it claimed to
> make.

It undermines the credibility of the person making the assertion.

Oh, I see what you mean. I think the benefit of a single code base is that you can use your resources more effectively. But since no-one actually has a single code base, by the sound of it... Received on Mon Sep 09 2002 - 03:29:13 CDT