Re: Disappearing Triggers!

From: Arielle Smith <smithari_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Sep 2002 07:42:05 -0700

Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9282A07B1F59SunnySD_at_68.6.19.6>...
> smithari_at_hotmail.com (Arielle Smith) wrote in
>
> > I posted a message recently about ORA-03113 errors and got some
> > excellant advice (many thanks), but continuing to track the problem
> > has uncovered some very bizarre happenings. Following a suggestion, I
> > ran a count of my triggers and found over half of the 60+ missing. <<SNIP>>>
> I contend that triggers (or other objects) do NOT spontaneously go "poof"
> and disappear from an Oracle database. Not that we (TINW) doubt you,
> please post your evidence that the triggers were present & are now gone.
>
> FWIW - I AUDIT all DDL statements so I can at least identfy after the
> fact who did what to whom & when. This level of AUDITing should not
> significantly burden your DB or system.
>
> HTH & YMMV
>

> HAND!
Thanks for the response. I'm now running a script every 15 minutes to count the number of triggers in the database. My phone started ringing early this AM with users getting "Oracle Connection Lost" errors as they were using the app. After checking the log from the script, I lost one around 10:30 last night, and one around 6:45 this AM. The only corresponding activity I can see is that a user logged into the front-end app at 10:37 PM and another at 6:39 AM. Between that time, multiple other users also logged in without incident, but those were the only ones in that 15-minute window, so I'm thinking it's just a coincidence. I, too, was completely baffled and doubleand  triple-checked it the first time I detected it, but it's definitely happening. I would really love to know if this is the cause or just another symptom to my recent spate of problems. We've had extreme problems for the last several weeks, but I only found this part last Thursday.

Could you educate me about auditing or point me to a site that has more info? I tried doing a search and come up with thousands of hits and am not quite sure what I'm looking for. Thank you again. Received on Mon Sep 09 2002 - 09:42:05 CDT