Re: Moving entire 8.1.7 database b/t machines

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 21:38:52 +0100

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:unnb35tko03u1f_at_corp.supernews.com...
> Two basic methods
> 1 make a clone. Source database needs to be down briefly to copy all
 files.
> After that issue
> alter database backup controlfile to trace;
> You'll get a tracefile which contains the CREATE CONTROLFILE command.
> Copy the tracefile over, edit it when necessary, startup nomount of the
> target database, run the tracefile and presto.
> Note: O/Ses must be *exactly* the same for this (so no 32/64-bit mixes)

My only comment on this is that surely the source database need *not* be down. One can create a clone by using datafiles from a backup of the DB and of course the redo that has taken place since the backup. Said backup can be a hot backup as well as a cold backup. The procedure isn't as simple of course because one has to recover the clone but should work equally well.

see http://oracle.ittoolbox.com/documents/document.asp?i=1623 for an example.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA