Re: Oracle Myth II - ??

From: roobaron <member_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 00:49:48 +0000

Hi Chuck

How is the table mapped to disk?
Is the tablespace that the table is in have multiple datafiles, separated
over multiple disks?

How many controllers do you have for the disks?

I am interested in seeing if there is extra performance benefit from including the APPEND hint to perform a direct insert as well.

I humbly asked our Unix guru he thought the best speed you would get over 100mb Ethernet is 10Mbyte/sec tops.

So 300Mbyte table copied as a flat file (straight unix copy) should take around 30 Secs...
Interesting to see what the other overhead is...

I would be interested to see the freelist and initrans parameters on the table as well.

Good stuff Chuck, the only way to debunk myths to shine the light of example on them.

Have Fun

p.s. i can run a test here as well and post the results.