Re: The limit of the unlimited ?

From: koert54 <nospam_at_spam.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 14:58:37 GMT

The maxsize of a datafile is limited by the structure of the DBA (datablock address)
and the blocksize (unless ulimit is hit first) Typically :

- the dba is 4 bytes
- 10 bits represent the filenumber (oracle/platform specific)
- that leaves 22 bits for the blocknumber
thus a datafile can have a max of 2^10 datablocks = 4194304

So blocksize of

2K -> max of 8GB
4K -> 16GB
8K -> 32GB