Re: How long will 8.1.7 survive?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 00:59:55 +1000

Fri, 06 Sep 2002 21:46:56 +0200, Alexander Albrecht said (and I quote):

> we don't want to upgrade our versions, because of the amount of work, which
> will meet us, not from technical point of view, but in the point of view of
> the validation of our application and data. therefore we decided not to

How have you quantified that? I mean, you are running versions that are nearly 10 years old. And you say there is an amount of work in validating the application. But there is no way you can quantify that exactly without at least trying. Or is there?

Also, exactly how do you expect your app to "break" if you upgrade the database version? Exactly what features specific to V7.2 is it using that could possibly make it break in 8.1.7, for example? Apart from NULL handling, I can hardly think of any. And that one will only get worse with time...

> The new application will come with an 8.1.5, maybe 8.1.7, depends of the
> vendor of the application.

Jeez... Bad karma, dude.

--
Cheers