Oracle Myth II - ??

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 14:42:04 GMT

Some time ago we had a very interesting and informative thread on Oracle myths, mostly centering on tablespace fragmentation and number of extents as a function of performance.

I have a question about another possible myth, though I've never seen any discussion on the subject, either pro or con.

The question is: If one needs to move large quantities of data through a db link, is there any performance advantage (supposedly from parallelization) of splitting the work through 2 separate links? Do 2 links represent a 2-lane road, or simply two different ramps onto a single lane road? If there would be a performance gain, how would an application actually implement it?

Platform is Oracle EE 7.1.3 on Win2K. The two databases involved would be on different boxes.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)