RAW(16) as Primary Key

From: M <hess2203_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Sep 2002 22:23:52 -0700

Hi

We are building a distributed application which will allow users to enter data offline and then later syncronize that data against the main database.
Because we cannot use sequences when we are not connected to oracle, we found that using GUIDS may prevent key conflicts. We are planning to use RAW(16) columns to store the GUIDs in Oracle. The GUIDs will be the Primary Key of many of our tables.

Are there any known disadvantages of using RAW(16) columns as primary keys and as foreign keys?

Regards
Matthias Received on Fri Sep 06 2002 - 00:23:52 CDT