Re: How long will 8.1.7 survive?

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 19:48:13 GMT

tingl wrote:

> Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:<al9f74$dk2$1_at_ctb-nnrp2.saix.net>...
> > Nuno Souto wrote:
> >
> > > Well, let's face it. Running any production database on 7.3.4
> > > is pushing it a bit too far.
> >
> > I still have two 7.3.4 databases. One production and one development (though
> > the dev one has been dormant for quite some time now).
> >
> > > There is no reason why 99.99999% of
> > > third party apps out there cannot be run in later versions:
> >
> > That is not always the issue. In our case, we need HP-UX 11 to run Oracle 8
> > or 8. The dev platform for example (a 4 CPU box) can not run HP-UX 11, only
> > HP-UX 10.
> >
> > > majority is so Oracle-agnostic anyway that it shouldn't matter one
> > > single bit!
> >
> > Agree. But you try and tell that to developers... that their Pro*C software
> > will still work... in a corporate environment where the number 1 rule is to
> > cover your ass at all times?
> >
> > > I'm constantly peeved at this reluctance to upgrade Oracle.
> > > Every other database and indeed OS out there gets upgraded
> > > every two years or so. Oracle databases tend to last 5 or more
> > > years without anyone touching them or upgrading anything. That
> > > IMO is completely wrong. But it also says a lot about the famous
> > > TCO...
> >
> > I tend to agree. I'm not one for tunning bleeding edge releases, but heck,
> > running old and _unsupported_ versions of a product is just plain stupid.
> > But then so are the corporate world and their politics.
>
> Often time upgrading software requires newer hardware. This is
> especially true for Oracle given its enormous size. It has to crank up
> that heavy duty Java machine every time even just for the installer to
> run. If you are happy with 7.3.4, stay with it. It's just as good as
> or better than many other brands of current release databases.
> Save some for company pinics. %)

And when you go out with your resume in a few years indicating your most recent experience is Oracle 7.3.4 don't expect your resume to last on my desk more time than it takes to push it into the reject pile.

This might be good advice for the CFO of some company whose job it is to maximize net profits. But we are paid for IT and our responsibility lies elsewhere. My advice is to let the corporate officers watch out for the corporation's best interests ... and for developer's and DBAs to watch out for theirs. And a resume, in two years that doesn't have Oracle 9.2 on it somewhere will be awfully hard to market. Without at least 8.1.7 it will be worthless.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Sep 06 2002 - 14:48:13 CDT