Re: client-server without the server..

From: zhix <zmilos_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: 6 Sep 2002 12:25:20 -0700

> From Justin:

>Machine A (client) Machine B (server)
>Windows 98 Windows 2000 Pro
>Oracle 8.1.5 client Oracle 8.1.5 client and database

>Is this correct?

Yep.

>Now, when you fire up SQL*Plus on B, you can connect to the database
>on B. When you fire up SQL*Plus on A, however, and try to connect to
>the database on B, you get the 'can not resolve service name' error.
>Does this accurately describe the situation?

Yes, very much so.

>Are you experienced setting up TNS names files in general?

Well, if close to a 100 of 'regular'
installations/set ups/configurations on Windoze, a couple on Solaris & Linux constitutes
experiance, I guess so. (Maybe not in my case :o( ...)

>Can you
>post the relevent TNSNames entry on machine B for the database on B?

Sorry, nope, was couple of weeks ago, but it was just a default install of 8.1.5 se - default tnsnames & listener for default ORCL sid db.

>I assume you've tried copying this entry to A without success.

yes.

>I'm assuming that you've made two installs of the Oracle client, one
>on A and one on B (client would have been installed on B at the same
>time you installed the database on B). Is this correct?

yes.

>You're not
>trying to share a single install between the two machines, are you?

Nope.

> Roobaron:

>a listener on each machine ...

A listener on W98? Are you sure?

>Billy:
>Client-server is not a hardware configuration.

Exactly, that's why I did not use terms like disk-controller and water cooler. :-)

thanks again,
zhix Received on Fri Sep 06 2002 - 14:25:20 CDT