Re: client-server without the server..

From: Justin Cave <jocave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Sep 2002 01:34:51 -0700

zmilos_at_sympatico.ca (zhix) wrote in message news:<c59f4459.0209051618.2b9da956_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Can you please explain what the difference is between a 'real' server
> > and a 'non-server'?
>
> Well, I can try.
>
> Server - 'real' as in NT Server, W2000 Server, SunSolaris,
> MoonSolaris - meaning OS where db server
> is installed.
>
> As a 'non-server' - W2k pro, XP , NT workstation, linux , whatever, without any
> network domains, dhcp's etc.. Just TCP/ip..

As long as you have as Oracle database installed on a box, it can act as a server. It doesn't matter which operating system you're using. It's not clear to me whether your 'non-server' actually has an instance of the Oracle database running. Does it?

> I get ping working ok between w98 i w2kpro, each machine can
> see/access the other's folders/partitions, both with static IP's,
> set with same Workgroup name,
> but tnsping/SqlPlus on w98 give 'can not resolve service name' & alikes.
> (8.1.5 SE server & client). SqlPlus connects ok localy (on the "server").
>
> Tried with entries in hosts files, tried all combinations
> in tnsnames, no luck...:o(

I'm going to assume here that you have installed an Oracle database on the 'non-server' system, which we're now calling the "server". Thus, we have

Machine A (client)           Machine B (server)
Windows 98                   Windows 2000 Pro
Oracle 8.1.5 client          Oracle 8.1.5 client and database

Is this correct?

Now, when you fire up SQL*Plus on B, you can connect to the database on B. When you fire up SQL*Plus on A, however, and try to connect to the database on B, you get the 'can not resolve service name' error. Does this accurately describe the situation?

Are you experienced setting up TNS names files in general? Can you post the relevent TNSNames entry on machine B for the database on B? I assume you've tried copying this entry to A without success.

I'm assuming that you've made two installs of the Oracle client, one on A and one on B (client would have been installed on B at the same time you installed the database on B). Is this correct? You're not trying to share a single install between the two machines, are you?

Justin Received on Fri Sep 06 2002 - 03:34:51 CDT