Re: client-server without the server..

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 07:34:19 +0200

zhix wrote:

>> Can you please explain what the difference is between a 'real' server
>> and a 'non-server'?

> Well, I can try.
>
> Server - 'real' as in NT Server, W2000 Server, SunSolaris,
> MoonSolaris - meaning OS where db server
> is installed.
>
> As a 'non-server' - W2k pro, XP , NT workstation, linux , whatever,
> without any network domains, dhcp's etc.. Just TCP/ip..

Interesting concept of a server and a "non-server", but it is flawed.

Client-server is not a hardware configuration.

> I get ping working ok between w98 i w2kpro, each machine can
> see/access the other's folders/partitions, both with static IP's,
> set with same Workgroup name,
> but tnsping/SqlPlus on w98 give 'can not resolve service name' & alikes.
> (8.1.5 SE server & client). SqlPlus connects ok localy (on the "server").

Back track here. Forget about what you think a server and a non-server is.

Say exactly what configuration you have (machine, operating system, Oracle version and what Oracle software is installed) or want to have. Then say exactly what you are trying to do (or wanting to do). If there are any Oracle error message, let us have their numbers too.

BTW, a tnsping can only work if there is an Oracle listener running on the other machine.

--
Billy