Re: Oracle DW Servers

From: roobaron <member_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 01:39:13 +0000

Our small DWHs have the following specs (just production)

Database version: Oracle 8.1.7
Hardware: Tru64 Unix 5 running 2 1Ghz Alpha CPUs Storage: Backend is SAN running Raid 5 with read/write cache(yes i know the performance and recovery hits, it was set up before i started here)

DATABASE SIZING INDICATORS

Database name
Devices used                  6
Datafiles                     70
Total size (G)                159.13
SGA (M)                       233.79

DATABASE SIZING INDICATORS

Database name
Devices used                  4
Datafiles                     18
Total size (G)                55.65
SGA (M)                       168.74

There is few sized of non-data tablespaces for big ops eg large RBS tablespace and 10G temp (to handle index creation/rebuild)

Our main problem is the overuse of index reads, using a cursor or equivalent to read an unique column in a large table and then use that to DML the same table or equivalent table. Bad program logic!!

We are getting stuff rewritten to use the database and storage optimially eg large table reads and sorts.

Too much info ? :)

Have Fun