Re: How long will 8.1.7 survive?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 5 Sep 2002 15:44:16 -0700

"Peter van Rijn" <p.vanrijn-rmthis_at_zhew.nl> wrote in message news:<unefc4fdl0b098_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> Just discovered Oracle is pushing a little harder to let us migrate our last
> Oracle 7 databases by making it impossible (AFAIK) to use OEM 9.2 against
> them.

Well, let's face it. Running any production database on 7.3.4 is pushing it a bit too far. There is no reason why 99.99999% of third party apps out there cannot be run in later versions: the vast majority is so Oracle-agnostic anyway that it shouldn't matter one single bit!

As for the odd custom one that might be looking at weird dictionary stuff, just make up a virtual dictionary and upgrade. That's what views are good at.

I'm constantly peeved at this reluctance to upgrade Oracle. Every other database and indeed OS out there gets upgraded every two years or so. Oracle databases tend to last 5 or more years without anyone touching them or upgrading anything. That IMO is completely wrong. But it also says a lot about the famous TCO... Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au Received on Thu Sep 05 2002 - 17:44:16 CDT