Re: client-server without the server..

From: Justin Cave <jocave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Sep 2002 23:31:41 -0700

zmilos_at_sympatico.ca (zhix) wrote in message news:<c59f4459.0209041833.2da88777_at_posting.google.com>...
> still curious... :o)
>
> ok, why:
>
> 1. boss wants to know why it can't be done...
> 2. some of our clients can't afford a 'real' server...
> 3. yes, economy is that bad...
> 4. adding options to oracle licencing 'scalability'..

Can you please explain what the difference is between a 'real' server and a 'non-server'? You're trying to connect to something, right? Presumably an instance of an Oracle database?

If you can set up an Oracle database on a machine, that machine is, by definition, capable of being an database server. Any client machine with the Oracle client installed that can reach your server over the network will be able to act as a database client.

Or are you asking about trying to set up some sort of P2P system composed solely of Oracle clients? That is not possible so far as I know-- there wouldn't be a database anywhere to store data, which pretty much defeats the purpose.

Justin Cave Received on Thu Sep 05 2002 - 01:31:41 CDT