Re: half of my disk partition space disappears after installing oracle 8.1.7 Ent on NT 4.0

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 00:29:21 +0200

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 16:54:18 -0400, "Carlos Hernandez" <infoactiva_at_manquehue.net> wrote:

>So I'm missing at least 535 Mb on my partition. WHERE DID THEY GO? there's
>nothing else on that partition. No hidden or system files. I've scanned
>the hard disk and it's fine, no damaged sectors. Oracle works fine though,
>but where did all that space go?
>
>any hints? It only happens with the Oracle installation, I've tried other
>software and it works fine.

Ever heard of disk clusters?
A file is allocated in clusters, so depending on the size of the cluster you will always have slack. Seems you are running Oracle on a FAT-16 partition which implies the smallest cluster is 512k (and not 32k as with FAT-32)

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Sep 04 2002 - 17:29:21 CDT