Re: Oracle & Delphi

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 20:28:45 +0400

Well, it's not actually that bad for the server if you open more connections. Indeed, if server runs in dedicated mode, new process (or thread on Windows) is started to service your connection and a lot of such processes may well deplete your server RAM. In MTS mode, actual number of processes is fixed and they are shared among all connections.

One connection per application means you have to serialize all database access through this single connection. If you open parallel connections to the database as needed, you can do things concurrently (for example, fetch in background or run separate transactions in separate windows of your application.) Oracle is highly concurrent database and can handle a lot of concurrent connections with ease and without certain issues plaguing other databases, like locking everything they touch and blocking everyone who wants the data you're modifying or wants to modify the data you're reading.

I think your reference to 15 connections is what you entered into DBCA input box for estimated number of concurrent users when you created the database. DBCA just sized certain Oracle parameters accordingly to avoid resource wastage, but of course Oracle can handle more connections than that even with this default sizing, and you can always increase some parameters according to actual load and resource shortages. If server memory is of issue and your transactions are mostly short, then MTS is likely for you, otherwise don't worry about your apps opening a lot of connections, Oracle can easily handle them.

Corrections and additions welcome.