Re: Oracle 9i RAC

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 18:47:02 +1000

Pete Sharman wrote:

>[snip]

> Depends on what you want to do. RAC will work whether you're using MSCS
> or not.
> FailSafe on the other hand requires MSCS. From what I understand,
> FailSafe is the active-standby solution,

Correct. One node does all the work, the other sits there waiting for an asteroid strike... at which point, it will leap into action. I may be muddying waters here, but I don''t consider that a "true" RAC (though Oracle itself certainly does, I guess).

MS Cluster Software prevents node 2 from accessing the 'shared' disk until node 1 gives up the ghost... so there's no possibility of true multi-node simultaneous access to the data. Hence the need to disable clustering services for all installations -though it's only done temporarily if you are then intending to go for a FailSafe-type solution.

Regards
HJR