Re: Is this serious?

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 21:01:32 +1000

Hi All,

Moving from a significant digit release to another significant digit release (eg. 7 => 8, 8 => 9) is a "migration" and requires among other things and options the running of the migration utility and the recreation of the control files via the CONVERT command.

Whereas the moving of a point release to another point release (eg. 8.1.5 => 8.1.7, 9.0.1 => 9.2) is an "upgrade" and only requires the running of the appropriate "upgrade" script to update the data dictionary and to then update the data dictionary views.

In answer the original posters question of whether the problem is serious, you can't do many laps in a 6M shared pool and it's a bit like Ian Thorpe trying to practice in a spa bath whist having a toe stuck in a tap. It's not really serious but it is a tad difficult ;)

Cheers

Richard

 http://www.dpsp-yes.com