Re: Is this serious?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:23:56 +0400

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:hqibnu42k6d67hdsaeocbbbh3umbb5cvea_at_4ax.com...
> On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:47:44 +0400, "Vladimir M. Zakharychev"
> <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com> wrote:
>
> >Well, I totally disagree that 8i Release 3 is 'maintenance' release. It
> >introduced quite a few new features compared to Release 1 and even
> >Release 2 - just check "what's new" sections in 8.1.7 docs. :)
>
> You are contradicting official Oracle terminology. Why?
> 8.1 is 8.1,is the same release and version, so *officially* 8.1.7 is
> NOT! a new release, whatever you think of it.
> That they add functionality is a different story.

Dunno, maybe you're right, but they *officially* call 8.1.5 "8i Release 1", 8.1.6 "8i Release 2" and 8.1.7 "8i Release 3". Note the word "release" in their official names. This actually means these are different releases of the product (Oracle8i) and not minor updates or upgrades to the base product. And I think they changed 9i versioning because this was a bit unclear for customers that 3rd digit change means more than a mere minor upgrade, thus 9i Release 2 became 9.2 and not 9.0.2.