Keep (Recycle) Buffer Question

From: Peter Bruhn <lbruhn_at_miss.wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 07:30:54 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I am not a DBA, but I have followed the long thread of the cach/keep-buffer discussion a bit. We have performance problems in our DB all the time. So I checked, if we use different buffers for different DB-objects. We do not. What I have understood from the above discussion that it is useful to put small lookup tables (+indexes) and some large tables (+indexes) that are heavily used into a seperate buffer that is large enough to hold all these objects. This buffer can be called keep-buffer. Then you put large tables (+indexes [?]) that are used very seldom into a third rather small buffer, call it the recycle buffer.

Now we have a large database with many, many tables. How do I identify what tables to put in what buffer. Do I have to make these decisions "by hand". Or is there any tool (query) to help me make this decision? Can I find out, what tables often whipe out the current cache and are not reused, so I can put them to the recycle cache? Can I find out what tables are whiped out often and then reloaded soon, so I can put into the keep cache?

Thanks for any hints, comments, flames,
Peter Received on Tue Sep 03 2002 - 02:30:54 CDT